Job Opportunities at The Historic Trust
The Historic Trust is a 501 c 3 nonprofit organization with a mission to inspire civic pride and economic vitality through education, preservation, and celebration of our community’s history. The Trust excels in its day-to-day work to fulfill this mission, including preserving, developing, and managing properties; producing and hosting community events and ceremonies; providing educational and engaging programming; and creating fundraising and volunteer opportunities. The Trust welcomes new perspectives and commitment to community.
Available Positions at The Historic Trust
The Historic Trust seeks a visionary business leader skilled in driving organizational success and empowering high performing staff. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the President/CEO will be based in Vancouver, Washington and have overall management responsibility for a growing organization with an operating budget of $5M+, $9M in net assets, 15-20 FTE paid staff, and a volunteer base of 40 (peaking to 250 for certain events each year). This individual will be charged with leading The Historic Trust through its next phase of growth and evolution and will work effectively with the Board of Directors on governance, budget, strategy, and donor development.
The Historic Trust is committed to Equal Opportunity Employer standards. We are dedicated to the value of advancing equity and we seek to build an organization that reflects the diversity of our community. We strongly encourage applications from all persons from marginalized communities, including racial/ethnic groups and individuals with disabilities.
- Governance: Cultivates an effective Board of Directors and ensure they are able to exercise their full governance and service potential on behalf of the organization. Supports operations and administration of Board by advising and informing Board members, interfacing between Board and staff, and supporting Board’s evaluation of the president and CEO.
- Strategic Planning: In concert with the Board of Directors operates to an agreed upon strategic plan that maximizes The Historic Trust’s community impact. Tracks results and updates plan on regular cycles.
- Fundraising: Actively engages in the cultivation and solicitation of philanthropic support through donations, sponsorships, planned giving, and other sources. Oversees fundraising staff in planning and implementation, including identifying resource requirements, researching funding sources, establishing strategies to approach funders, submitting proposals and administrating fundraising records and documentation.
- Human Resources: Effectively build, retain, manage, and develop a high performance team (paid and volunteer).
- Programs and Services: Oversees design, marketing, promotion, delivery and quality of programs, products, and services. Support calculated plans to expand its portfolio of relevant, community valued, and sustainable programs.
- Property Management/Acquisition: Grow and diversify its portfolio of managed historic properties.
- Financial Oversight: Recommends yearly budgets for Board approval and prudently manages the organization’s resources within those budget guidelines.
- External Relations: Represents The Historic Trust at executive level with all external constituencies. Develops supportive and effective relationships with relevant stakeholders that enhance realization of The Historic Trust’s mission.
- Event Management: Strategically select, plan, and deliver relevant community events that sustainably provide the greatest benefit to the community.
- 3-5+ years of successful experience as a CEO, Executive Director, or another highly related top level position of a similarly scoped organization.
- Experienced leader with demonstrated skills leading a nonprofit, or equivalent for-profit, organization in the $4M+ revenue range with a complex set of community offerings, stakeholders, and business models.
- A genuine passion and a deep appreciation for the mission of The Historic Trust.
- Track record of success forming and executing effective fundraising plans including demonstrated ability to raise funds in the $2M/yr+ range from diverse sources including individual donors, corporate sponsors, foundations, and the public sector.
- Proven ability to cultivate long-term genuine relationships with donors and community partners; proven success in building collaborative networks and relationships across sectors including nonprofit, education, business, and government.
- Demonstrated skills in building, motivating, and retaining high performance teams, including paid staff and volunteers.
- Comprehensive management skills including strategic planning, financial oversight, marketing, team leadership, and customer service.
- Charismatic leader with the skills and credibility to speak and act as the face of The Historic Trust on a local and regional stage in partnership with Board members.
- Excellent communication skills including public speaking, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated vision and entrepreneurial skills for identifying and implementing financial and programmatic opportunities that ensure long-term organizational stability.
- Prior experience working with and reporting to a Board of Directors, maintaining effective and trusting relationships while forging consensus and engendering support.
- Strong entrepreneurial skills and history of providing visionary leadership at the executive level to lead The Historic Trust into the future.
- Bachelor degree, or equivalent experience, in relevant field required. Masters degree in business or nonprofit management preferred.
- Ability to travel as needed to foster partnerships, cultivate high target major donors, as well as learn best practices and create awareness at industry-related events and conferences.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This exciting opportunity offers the ability to make significant impact leading and growing an established nonprofit committed to inspiring civic pride and economic vitality through education, preservation, and celebration of our community’s history. Starting compensation includes: a very competitive salary dependent on experience, plus full benefits package that includes a 403b, paid medical, dental, vision, life insurance, sick time, paid vacation, and paid holidays.
HOW TO APPLY
For immediate consideration, please submit your application (attaching your resume and cover letter in MS Word) online through https://www.scionstaffing.com/jobportal/#/jobs/4843.
Please visit our Volunteer page for other ways to join the Trust Team!