- This event has passed.
CommonGround: The Vancouver Chautauqua
August 6, 2018 - August 11, 2018Free
COMMONGround: A six day gathering for curious people
Explore six days of free history, art, music, and literature events in Vancouver presented by The Historic Trust!
CommonGround is modeled after the iconic chautauquas popular in late 19th and early 20th century America. Chautauquas brought speakers, teachers, musicians, entertainers, and craftsmen together for the entertainment and education of the community. Former U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt was quoted as saying that Chautauqua is “the most American thing in America.”
- Walk + Talk History Tours. Choose from:
- General O.O. Howard, Chief Joseph, and the Nez Perce Wars with The Historic Trust
- Medal of Honor Recipients with the Vancouver Barracks Military Association
- Architecture, People, and the Times with The Historic Trust
- World War I and World War II with The Historic Trust
- Providence Academy, Mother Joseph, and Her Legacy with The Historic Trust
- Aviation History with The Historic Trust
- Providence Academy Journey augmented reality app created in partnership with Washington State University Vancouver
- Military History exhibition presented by The Lower Columbia Veterans Coalition
- Six Degrees of Marshall exhibit on special loan from The George C. Marshall Foundation
- Fort Vancouver Tapestry exhibition presented by Fort Vancouver Tapestry Project
- Monotype, Collaborative Crochet, Figure Drawing & Felt Embroidery Workshops, with an exhibition and performances inspired by the work workshops presented by Arts of Clark County, performances by Washington Dance Creative featuring Josh Murry-Hawkins and Jackie Genis & Russell Capps
- Vet Ink: Military-Inspired Tattoos photography exhibit on loan from Clark County Historical Museum
- Live opera in the historic Providence Academy chapel–choose from Classical Name That Tune or Broadwayperformed by Opera On Tap
- Read Alouds at The Marshall House with Fort Vancouver Regional Library
Click map to view full size.
Click schedule to view full size.